Make DonationNight Lights for Kids with Cancer
Doernbecher Children's Hospital, at OHSU
Lotsa Helping Hands
Donate time and meals. Confirm your email address via the link provided once you receive your LHH email.
Caring Bridge is a web page to keep up on our journal entries, see the photo gallery, and write Stella a note in her guestbook.
Special thanks to:
Welcome to Rock Star Stella's Website
"RockStar Stella Gives Light"
Is now a non-profit charity! EIN #46-1490202
Click on Donate today!
For more details click on tab "How to Help"
Stella Monteverde-Cakebread: 2010
Now 2012 she is Cancer-Free with her new bone marrow.
Our Start of our Jouney:
Was diagnosed with AML Leukemia w a rare FLT3 gene mutation with a 30% chance to survive with a bone marrow transplant. Finding someone to match was a 2% chance because of her mixed race. Spanish and Anglo-Saxon mix.
How did we catch it?
Check out the talk radio show "What my kid has cancer"
Stella had been complaining of headaches and body aches/pain with slight fever on and off throughout January. She did show signs of bruising on her legs only. So on our second trip to her primary doctor at Kaiser a blood test revealed evidence of cancer, and she was checked into Doernbecher Children’s Hospital that night (Feb 1st).
Our beautiful daughter is beginning a long journey to kick “AML” Leukemia. This journey will be particularly difficult for Stella because her cancer cells exhibit a genetic mutation called “Flt3” that causes these cells to reproduce themselves far more quickly than Stella’s healthy cells. This complication makes it critically important that Stella receive a bone marrow transplant as part of her treatment.
What is Leukemia? Well it can happen to anyone… it is a cancer of the blood that affects our white blood cells. The treatment calls for chemotherapy to kill all mutated white blood cells (along with all the healthy ones) in Stella’s blood and bone marrow. The bone marrow transplant will help to complete this process. When these cells are all gone and Stella’s body is producing healthy white cells, then her cancer will be considered “in remission.”
What Can You Do? Give LIFE it is easy to do.
- Donate blood: Someone out there donated and Stella wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.
- Be the Match: Cheek swap and be a bone marrow match! Save lives while your living.
- Raising money NOW for Star Nightlight for the children living in the hospital during Christmas every year. Check out the How to Help page.
Meeting Stella's Donor for the first time:
Past Events 2010:
Celebration of Life Event: April 15th 2012, Kennedy School Gym Portland Oregon
Stella is meeting her Bone Marrow donor Travis Black from Washington D.C. This weekend April 13th-16th. We are hosting a BE The Match Bone Marrow Drive (Cheek Swab only) while letting our comunity say help to Travis. Stella got a second chance to live so come on out or register today.
- ROCKSTAR STELLA CONCERT BENEFIT: @Large Studio's staging with music/dance with a silent auction. Buy your tickets online for Saturday, June 5th Two parts: Daytime Family 12pm-4pm Night time 6pm-12pm Raised over $16,000.
- Pasha Productions: Book your $100 Photo Shoot #503-236-5585 June 27th, July 17th, and August 14th to help us pay for Stella's Nutritionist Andrea Nakayama
- Congratulations! Rock Star Stella Cut-A-Thon: Belle Époque Salon and other local/nationwide salons join us. Sunday, March 21st Raised $17,000.00 from over 61 stylist from Oregon to Washington.